At 6190 m (20,300 ft) Denali (formerly Mt McKinley) is the highest mountain in North America. Its arctic latitude makes for extreme weather conditions and its remote location in the Alaskan wilderness means that climbing teams must be self-reliant and experienced. The author focuses on the West Buttress route used by 80-90% of climbers. The book includes:
- concise advice about preparation and planning
- medical advice on how to prevent and manage altitude sickness
- practical tips on load-carrying, glacier travel and camping
- an extensive gear list and advice on the use of sleds
- step-by-step description of route and campsites
- a 3-panel fold-out map showing the West Buttress route.
- The book is in full color, with over 50 photographs, and the format is waterproof, pocket-sized (105X145 mm), bound to open flat, and weighs just 4 oz.